Use category trees and categories in Optimizely Product Information Management (PIM) to organize your products and create taxonomies for customers to browse your website.
Assign attributes to categories manually
An attribute in the PIM is any property mapped to an attribute in Configured Commerce. Attributes assigned to a category can be used as filters on the category-specific product list.
- Click the Attributes tab for a Category.
- Click the Assign Attributes icon.
- Select the attributes you want to assign in the Assign Attributes window. You can choose to view all attributes or show only the attributes that are related, based on the products assigned to the category you are currently editing.
- Click Save when you finish selecting attributes.
You can configure an auto-assignment process for category attributes. This process takes any attribute on a product included in a certain category and sets it as an attribute for that category, removing the need for you to do this manually.
- Go to Configure > Settings.
- Toggle on Enable auto-assignment of category attributes.
- Click Auto-Assign after the warning displays, indicating that attributes are assigned based on the products in each category and unrelated attributes will be unassigned.
- Click Save.
When this setting is active, any new categories created manually or through imports include the auto-assignment of attributes feature.
Auto-assignment of category attributes runs with the Configured Commerce integration job. The Publish Approved Products job assigns every property mapped as an attribute for any category that has auto-assignment enabled.
If you want to use auto-assignment of category attributes but have specific categories you want to manage manually, you can disable auto-assignment for these categories.
Disable auto-assignment for a specific category
- Go to Categories.
- Click the category from which you want to remove auto-assignment.
- Select Attributes.
- Click the link icon.
- Uncheck the Auto assigned attributes checkbox.
- Click Save.
Change sort order for attributes
You can rearrange and change the sort order of assigned attributes by using the Drag icon or typing a number into the Sort Order box. You can also sort the attributes by name by clicking on the Attribute column. The attribute list is always sorted from low to high.
Drag – Click on the Drag icon and drag the attribute to where you want it in the sort order. The numbers of the sort order automatically change to match.
Sort Order – Enter a new number into the Sort Order box of the attribute to change it. Once you click out of the box, the numbering changes to match your new ordering.
Click Save once you have your attributes sorted. You can also unassign an attribute by clicking the Unassign icon on a row.