Use a custom domain to further personalize the branding that customers see when managing their subscriptions. Hosting a preference center on a custom domain has two requirements:
- The ability to update the DNS records of your domain.
- Access to one of the following emails to enable secure links: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, or email@example.com.
Create a custom domain
Use the following steps to create a custom domain for a preference center:
- Go to Account Settings > Preference Centers.
- Click the Edit icon on an existing preference center or create a new one by selecting New Preference Center. More on customizing the center is available here.
- Locate Customize your preference center URL.
- Click Select a domain > Create Custom Domain. For example, the domain could be preferences.acme.com.
- Click Create.
Update CNAME records
You must update the CNAME records of the selected domain to redirect traffic to the correct URL. Use the values provided for Type, Hostname, and Value to make this update in your DNS provider.
Send a domain verification email
Send an email containing a secure link to ensure ownership of the custom domain. Amazon Web Services (AWS) sends this email on behalf of Optimizely to all the addresses listed. Your team must click one of the links to confirm ownership before publishing the preference center.
Validate and verify records
Once you have updated your DNS records and clicked the domain verification email, check that everything has updated by clicking Domains & IPs > Verify all DNS Records. The authentication usually takes 10-15 seconds. Once verified, the status for the associated records should become green checkboxes.