Amazon S3 is a simple storage service that allows place files for import to Optimizely Data Platform (ODP) and retrieves requested exports from ODP. To use S3, you need the bucket (location) you wish to access and the access key/secret for authentication.
Prepare your account for S3 access
Use the following steps to access S3:
- Go to Account Settings > Integrations > AWS.
- If you do not have access to S3 yet, you will need to generate a key and secret. Click Generate Access Keys to create your key and secret:
Connecting to S3
Using command line
Copy a local file to S3
aws s3 cp zaius_customers.csv s3://zaius-incoming/<your tracker ID>/ --sse
Copy a complete directory of files to S3
aws s3 sync /tmp/yourlocaldir/ s3://zaius-incoming-temp/<your tracker ID>/ --sse
Once you place a file in your Zaius-incoming bucket, ODP will automatically import it with no additional steps required. This allows you to fully automate the import process if you regularly create data for imports and can schedule that data to be added to your S3 bucket.
Retrieve an S3 file (retrieve all files under an export id)
aws s3 cp s3://zaius-outgoing/<your tracker ID>/data-exports/<id> . --recursive --sse
The above command outputs the contents of your requested ID to your current directory. To specify a location, replace the "." with the directory path. For example, to output the directory to your desktop, specify /Users/<name>/Desktop (OSX) or C:\Users\<name>\Desktop (Windows).
Note: ODP exports are a set of files in a directory folder identified by the export ID provided. Be sure you transfer the entire directory to get the entirety of the export.
Using an application
Download and configuration
- Download a free tool like Cyberduck.
- Launch Cyberduck and create a New Bookmark.
- Select Amazon S3 from the services dropdown menu.
- Give your connection a nickname (optional).
- Enter the AWS Access Key ID that you received from ODP.
- Enter the AWS Secret Access Key that you received from ODP.
- Open More Options and enter the path seen on the AWS card in Integrations. Do not copy "S3://", but preface the directory with a single forward-slash. Each import and export has a separate directory.
- Close the dialog to save as a new bookmark.
You can find additional information on using Cyberduck to import files in their documentation.