The transactional email add-on enables an account to send emails for order receipts, account updates, shipping confirmations, and other essential business transactions. Transactional emails are for relationship-based interactions, whereas marketing emails are used for promotion.
Marketing and transactional
Marketing email is any email that primarily contains a commercial message or content. This type usually targets a particular group of recipients. If you are trying to move a lead down your funnel, then you are most likely sending marketing emails. Use an unsubscribe link to keep your emails out of the junk folder and ensure compliance with common privacy laws such as CAN-SPAM. A few examples of marketing emails include:
- Welcome series
- Seasonal promotions
Transactional email is an email that is triggered through an event that happened within an application or website. This type is usually sent to individual recipients and completes a transaction or process. You do not need to include an unsubscribe link as a recipient should always receive the information contained in these messages. A few examples of transactional emails include:
- Order confirmation and receipt
- Shipping information
- Password reset
Transactional best practices
The differences between marketing and transactional email are not always obvious. Because the rules and regulations can vary by region, you should know the laws of the regions in which you operate. Avoid including additional unnecessary information in your transactional emails and follow these best practices:
- Use an easy to understand “From Address”.
- Communicate all of the critical information in the subject line.
- Align the design of your transactional emails with your brand.
- Identify the reason the recipient is receiving the email.
- Ensure that the content of your email is informational and not promotional.
Create a transactional email
- Go to Campaigns > Create New Campaign > Transactional.
- Select a transactional email recipe if integrated with a compatible third-party app or select Create From Scratch.
- Configure the email's event-based Enrollment settings and single touchpoint.
- Save the changes and Go Live when ready.