Optimizely B2B Commerce (ISC) can be configured in various ways to handle the computation of taxes:
- B2B Commerce native capabilities to manage taxes are used
- External third-party tax engines are used (that is, Avalara, Cybersource).
The system can be configured to use any of these taxation strategies across all sites within the B2B Commerce platform. The taxation strategy is managed at the application level and can not be configured uniquely per website. Using the following Application Settings (Admin Console > Administration > Application Settings)To select the tax calculator, go to the Admin Console > Administration > System > Settings, search for "Tax Calculator" and then choose the desired option:
Tax Calculator Value
Value for Avalara
Value for CyberSource
"Standard" or "DualRate"
Some external tax services may require additional setup, as such, see the related service provider articles. We do not provide documentation on all providers.
If ISC's native Taxation Engine is configured, there are 3 distinct areas for additional configuration:
- Website Level, to determine the actual Tax Calculation Strategy for each site.
- Depending on the chosen Tax Calculation Strategy, state tax records need to be configured.
- Optionally, local tax records can also be configured.
Configure tax calculation strategy
Use these steps to update the Tax Calculation Strategy:
- Go to Admin Console > System > Settings.
- Search for Tax Calculation.
- If the Tax Calculator field is not set to Standard, a message is displayed stating the field is only accessible when Standard is selected.
- There are three strategies within the Tax Calculation menu:
- None. Sales tax will not be charged. This is the default value.
- Percent. The defined percentage of the order total will be charged as sales tax for all orders.
- Calculate. Sales tax will be calculated using the configured tax rates based on the customer order. Default value: None
- Select Save.
Setting up state tax rates
If Calculate was selected, in the Calculate field (see the Configure Tax Calculation Strategy topic above), update the State Tax Rates (based on State):
- Go to Admin Console > Websites
- Click Edit for the desired Website.
- Click the States finger tab.
- Click Edit for the desired state.
- Review the information in the Tax Information section.
The Tax Information section contains the following applicable tax fields:
- Taxable. Toggles if the state is taxable
- Tax Code. State Code for Tax
- Tax Rate. Percentage tax rate
- Tax Freight. Defines whether or not the shipping charge is included in the taxable total. If checked, tax will be charged on the shipping charge.
- Handling Amount. Adds a base handling amount to transactions.
B2B Commerce supports non-taxability at both the BillTo and ShipTo. If the BillTo is non-taxable, none of the ShipTo's will be taxed. If the BillTo is taxable and a given ShipTo is non-taxable, the non-tax status of the ship-to is honored.
Optionally configure local tax rates
Local taxes allow you to capture City, County, Transit and Special Purpose Sales and Use tax based on Zip Codes. Consult your tax authority for the requirements regarding your local taxing jurisdiction. To make use of this option, the generic tax calculator is required, as opposed to using Avalara, CyberSource, or Sx, and the Local Tax Rate entity needs to be enabled within the Application Dictionary.
The Local Tax configurations contain the following parameters:
- Postal Code. Postal Code to which the tax rate applies
Tax Code. ERP specific tax code
This code must match the tax code within your ERP.
- Tax Rate. Percentage of order to use in tax calculation
- Tax Freight. Indicates that freight/shipping charges are to be included in tax calculations
Use will-call and store pickup functionality on your B2B Commerce website to empower your customers to choose nearby warehouses to pickup their orders, verify inventory at selected locations and indicate pickup dates. Enabling this functionality increases customer self-service, improves handling of time-sensitive orders and gives your customers the flexibility to choose the fulfillment method that best meets their current needs.