Optimizely B2B Commerce allows users to purchase in multiple units of measure (UoM's) and have the system adapt to the pricing and inventory implications of these alternate units. Base units of measure are set at the Product level. The value entered for the Unit of Measure is displayed next to the product price.
B2B Commerce allows users to purchase in multiple units of measure (UoM's) and the system automatically adapts to the pricing and inventory implications of these alternate units. Base units of measure are set at the Product level. The value in the Unit of Measure field is displayed next to the product only if the Unit of Measure Description is left blank. If a description is provided in the Unit of Measure Description field, then that description is displayed in place of the value in the Unit of Measure field.
B2B Commerce does not support alternate units of measure on any configured products.
Multiple units of measure
Multiple/Alternate UoMs work by grouping a number of the base UoMs into another package. For example, a base product may be 1 container, with alternate units of measure being a box of 12 containers, and a case of 24 containers.
Multiple Units of Measure will only appear on a website if the Alternate Units of Measure Setting is set to ON.
- Go to Admin Console > Websites.
- Click Edit for the desired website.
- Click the Settings tab.
- Search for Alternate Units of Measure, or click the Catalog finger tab and go to the Inventory section.
- Set Alternate Units Of Measure to ON.
- Click Save.
Setting a product to use alternate units of measure
This section covers the steps necessary to set a product to use Alternate Units of Measure. These settings are found in Catalog > Products.
- Find the desired product and click Edit.
- Click the Details finger tab, and then go to Pricing.
- If not present, add the desired Unit of Measure to the Unit of Measure field.
- If not present, enter a description for the Unit of Measure to the Unit of Measure Description field.
- Click Save.
To add an Alternate Unit of Measure, you must first enter values for the Unit of Measure and Unit of Measure Description fields described above, and then click Save. Doing so enables the Alternate Units of Measure finger tab.
- Click the Alternate Units of Measure finger tab.
- Click Add Alternate Unit of Measure.
- Enter the information for the Alternate Unit of Measure. Fields are described below.
- U/M: The Alternate Unit of Measure. (Required)
- Description: A description for the Alternate Unit of Measure displayed on the Website.
- Qty Per U/M: The quantity of items per each unit. (Required)
- Rounding Rule: This setting determines how quantities with fractional amounts are handled. If set to No Rounding, fractions will not be rounded. If set to Round, fractions will be rounded up or down to an integer based on what integer the fractional amount is closer to. If set to Round Up, any fraction will be rounded up to the next integer. If set to Truncate, any fractional amount will be omitted. (Required)
- Default: When set to YES, this will make the Alternate Unit of Measure the default. (The default is NO.)
- Click Save.
Alternate units of measure field reference
This field is the unit of measure. It typically is an abbreviation for the specified unit of measure and is displayed on the website next to the product price. It appears to the right of the product price only if the Description field is not populated. If the Description field is populated, it will display in place of the U/M field content. If left blank, no alternate units of measure will display.
This field is the description that displays on the website for the alternate unit of measure selector.
QTY per UOM
This field defines how many of the base unit of measure comprise the alternate unit of measure. The base unit of measure is set on the Details tab of the product.
No Rounding -This rule allows fractional quantities of this product to be ordered. This is the default rule.
Round - This rule will round a fractional quantity up or down, based on which integer the fractional quantity is closer to (e.g., 1.25 = 1, 1.75 = 2).
Round Up - This rule will round any fractional quantity up to the next integer (e.g., 1.01 = 2)
Multiple Only - This rule will round the quantity to the closest multiple of the number set in the MultipleSaleQty field on the Details Tab of the product (e.g., MultipleSaleQty = 3, qty ordered = 6, value = 6; qty ordered = 7, value = 9)
If Yes is selected, this UofM will show on the website by default.
Warehouse inventory behavior when working with alternate units of measure
When purchasing products with alternate units of measure, the quantity on order will increment by the quantity purchased * quantity per UoM.