Different editors produce most website content; on some websites, content or other changes need to be reviewed and approved before publication. To facilitate collaboration among editors when creating content and among editors and reviewers when approving changes, Optimizely Content Management System (CMS) comes with a commenting functionality. You can add comments on content items and projects and tag colleagues, who are notified of your comments.
Comments are a good way to add information about changes you have made or ask other editors to review the item. Other editors can view your comments, reply to them, and add their own. Email notifications may be sent to inform you of other editors' actions.
You can add comments on any content item. A real-life scenario might be when you are working on an item that needs to be reviewed and want to let the reviewers know exactly what is updated.
You can add and view comments in the comment panel. It is opened and closed by clicking the comment symbol in the top toolbar. The icon is black when the comments panel is hidden and blue when it is visible.
If you use the Content Approvals feature, an administrator may also have made it mandatory to add a comment when you set an item for Ready for Review.
To add a comment to a content item, open the content item. You need access rights to the item to view and post comments. The following image shows your commenting options.
Click the comment icon (1) to open the comment panel. You can add a comment in the top comment text box (2) and click Post to add a comment (3), or click Comment (5) on one of the item's actions to add a comment (4).
Enter @ and partial usernames to tag another editor and select from a results list. You can tag any available users, but the tagged user still needs access rights to the project item to see the actual comment. Tagged users are notified of comments in the user interface.
You can comment on a project or specific project items or actions.
Image: Comment on the project
Image: Comment on the project item
Image: Reply to comment on the project item
Add a comment to a project or project item
- Select the project in the project toolbar and click Overview.
- To add a comment to a:
- Project. Select the Project Comments tab in the project overview.
- Project item. Select the Items tab in the project overview and then Show comments. Select the project item you want to comment on. Items that already have comments are marked with a comment icon.
- Add a comment in the comment text box. If you comment on a project item, you can add to it or click Comment on one of the item's actions.
- To tag another user, enter @ followed by the user name. Select the user from the displayed list of suggested users. The tagged user receives a notification in the user interface and may also receive an email notification depending on the system configuration. You can tag any available users, but the tagged user still needs access rights to the project item to see the actual comment.
- Press Enter or click Post.
Image: Comment on the project
Image: Comments on the project item
Click Reply on the comment you want to reply to and enter your comment in the text box. Press Enter or click Post.
You can edit comments and replies that you have created yourself. Click Edit on the comment or reply you want to change. Press Enter or click Save. Edited comments or replies are marked with a pen icon.
You cannot delete comments or replies.