An e-commerce website displays content from the product catalog, through types of categorization, faceted navigation, or filtering. In Optimizely Customized Commerce, content is information entered onto Optimizely Content Management System (CMS) pages and blocks, and information related to e-commerce catalog entries such as categories, products and variants. Catalog content often is based on data retrieved from external systems.
Different user groups update content. For example, merchandisers organize the product catalog, manage pricing and enrich the product information, whereas marketers and editors create campaign pages and promote products.
Catalog content consists of various types of catalog entries, such as categories, products, variants, package and bundles.
The Catalog view lets you:
- Create new categories and add products and variants to these in the product catalog structure. See Work with categories.
- Browse the catalog tree to see the structure of catalog entries, and the content types on which they are based.
- Create relationships between catalog entries using drag-and-drop functionality.
- Edit catalog entries such as categories, products and variants from the On-Page Editing or the All Properties editing views.
- Add text, media such as images and videos, and links to properties in different content types such as adding a product description. See Manage content in the CMS.
- Manage pricing across products, markets and customer groups, compare prices filtered by markets and customer groups, and make adjustments as needed. See Manage pricing.
- Create a link to an entity in the product catalog using the Link tool. From the Create Link dialog box in the editor or a link property in the content, you can create a link to a catalog, a category, catalog entry, or a variant.
- Publish changes directly on the website, or schedule it for later publishing.
- Create a link to a marketing campaign or promotion using the Marketing content field.
You can access the Catalogs gadget in the CMS and Optimizely Customized Commerce asset pane. Use the gadget to drag catalog entries into the rich-text editor or a content area of a CMS page or block, to display and promote product information, such as a campaign page.
You can also use the Catalogs gadget to create relation links between catalog entries by dragging catalog items into the Relations tab of other catalog entries. See Related entries.
To properly display product information when used in other types of content, you must adapt the rendering templates to display catalog content.
Multiple language content
If you have business in multiple markets, you may need your website and content catalog to be in multiple languages, which you can activate in Optimizely Customized Commerce. See Multi-language management.
The personalize with visitor groups feature in Optimizely CMS targets content to specific visitor groups. For example, you can design campaigns based on recent orders or the total spent amount for a customer. The personalization option is available in the rich-text editor, and is also applied to available block on your website. See Customized Commerce personalization criteria.
Optimizely Search & Navigation and best bets for catalog content
If you have Optimizely Search & Navigation installed on your website, you can promote content in your product catalog by adding best bets to the search results. See Optimizely Search & Navigation.
Optimizely Customized Commerce-specific gadgets
This legacy section is being retired. If you want to read the Optimizely Customized Commerce Orders gadget (Legacy) documentation, see version 19-2, or earlier, of the user guide.