To test email functionality/notifications, enable SMTP to send an email. This article describes how you can use your Gmail account to send emails from your local machine.
- Add the following settings inside <configuration></configuration>tag in the web.config file. You can add it to the end of the file.
<smtp deliveryMethod="Network" from="firstname.lastname@example.org">
password="Gmail account PWD"
- If you get the following error message then:
We're sorry. We weren't able to set up your SMTP. Learn more using the error message below. The SMTP server requires a secure connection or the client was not authenticated. The server response was: 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first:
Try this first:
- Log in to your Gmail account.
- Go to My Account > Sign-in & Security > Connected apps & sites
- Enable Allow less secure apps.
- Go to More controls > Security > Basic Settings.
- Scroll down to click Go to settings for less secure apps.
- Select enforce.
- Click Save.
See also SMTP errors - what do they mean?