- Figure out why your page is not loading in the editor
- Figure out why your page is loading slowly, or the original "flashes" briefly before the variation appears
- Figure out why you cannot see the changes you made rendering on your page
- Figure out why your changes are appearing, but not as you intended
- Figure out why your goals are not tracking correctly (or at all)
Your experiments are more likely to be effective if you follow the best practices for setting them up. Learn the basics in our Getting Started Guide and the best techniques for testing experiments in our Pre-Launch Checklist Guide.
Before you start an experiment, you want to preview it to make sure that it is working as intended. Check your site’s existing functionality, and new elements you added, and navigate to the events tab to make sure that your goals are firing correctly.
If everything looks good, then start running your experiment. If not, check this article to help diagnose the issue. There are a few common reasons you can troubleshoot:
- Your page is not loading in the Editor. See Troubleshooting: Pages not loading in the Editor.
- Your page is loading slowly, or your original page "flashes" briefly before the variation appears. You may notice this when you try to view your experiment live on your site. This often has to do with the timing of Optimizely's execution on the page. See Fix flashing or flickering variation content.
- You do not see any changes on the page. You notice this when you preview the experiment. More often you will set your experiment live and visit a page you expect to modify, but find that your changes are not appearing. See Troubleshooting: Experiment is not activating or Troubleshooting: Variation content does not appear in Optimizely Web.
- The page is not displaying as you intended. You notice this when you preview the experiment. This could be an issue with variation content. See Troubleshooting: Variation content does not appear in Optimizely Web. It could be an issue with the way the browser is rendering Optimizely's changes. Watch our video or see Visual Editor in Optimizely for how to make more precise changes in the Editor.
- A goal/event is not tracking correctly. You may notice this when you preview, but you might also catch it as results are coming in. See Troubleshooting: Metrics do not track correctly in Optimizely.
- You do not see conversions for a certain variation on the Results page. See Troubleshooting: Variation content does not appear in Optimizely Web.
- You do not see ANY visitors or conversions on the Results page. See Troubleshooting: Experiment is not activating.