There are different places in the ODP Email Designer that will allow you to use Liquid code for different purposes:
1. Text elements Liquid can be used in text elements to show dynamic and conditional text content. Use liquid without code here by following guide: Personalized tags / Liquid Pills (Legacy) - Use liquid without writing code
2. Setup Liquid logic can be added to the Setup block of elements.
3. Condition Liquid can be added to the Condition section to show/hide content via showing/hiding elements.
4. Subject Line & Preheader
At the top you will see the Subject line and PreHeader line.Liquid placed here is used to tailor content in the subject line or preheader. You can also use the same Liquid Pill guide found here for these fields: Personalized tags / Liquid Pills (Legacy) - Use liquid without writing code
5. Variables Section
Scroll down to the bottom of the Email Editor to find the Variables section...Liquid here can be used to tailor content throughout the touchpoint.
6. Dynamic Grid > Content > Convert to Liquid
First click the Dynamic Grid element in your content. Once you have this selected click on the first field , Content and you will see the following pop up. Liquid placed here can be used to tailor content in the dynamic grid
Liquid can be used to generate URLs or parts of URLs for users to click on or to generate images to render in campaigns...Simply add a link to your content, click on Link URL and you can add liquid directly to the URL itself or you can utilize the tags by clicking on the Lightning Bolt icon.
- Liquid is “an open source template language created by Shopify”
- “Open source”: Engineers can make changes to it and adapt it for their own needs -- we did this
- “Template language”: A nice way to put data on an email/page
- Sources of public documentation:
- Shopify’s: https://help.shopify.com/en/themes/liquid
- Ours: https://support.optimizely.com/hc/en-us/articles/4407775333261-Advanced-Liquid-capabilities-in-ODP
- Ours: https://support.optimizely.com/hc/en-us/articles/4407775274253-Personalize-with-optional-content
- Shopify also has a Github repo for local testing: https://shopify.github.io/liquid/