Instead of creating a page variant to display promotional content targeted to a customer segment or another group based on rules, use widgets to target promotions or content to customer segments.
Although individual widgets do not directly support the targeting of promotions or content to customer segments, you can accomplish this goal by creating a widget that only appears for one customer segment.
These steps apply to any widget available for that particular page.
Create content visible to a customer segment
- Select the page to which you want to add targeted content from the left menu.
- From the Customer Segment drop-down list in the top toolbar, select a customer segment that should see the content. For example, select Signed In.
- Add a widget containing text or images specific to these users. To do this:
- Click Edit to enter edit mode for the page.
- If you need to add a row, select Edit in the row table on the page and choose the desired configuration for the row you are adding to the page. If not, proceed to the next step.
- Click Add Widget within one of the row's cells. The Add a Widget window appears and shows widgets available for the page.
- Search for or select a widget from the displayed widget groups and options.
- When you have selected your widget, add content in the way you normally would. For more information on working with widgets, review the Work with Widgets in Spire article.
- When you are finished, click Save.
Now, only Signed In users will see the content added in this widget.
Hide content from other customer segments
Alternatively, you can select Customer Segments who should not see certain content on certain pages.
- From the Customer Segment drop-down list, select a customer segment that should not see the content.
- Click the widget's Edit button:
- Clear the content then type a space in the text editor.
- Click Save.
- Click Publish, then click Publish again in the Publishing Home window to approve the changes.
- Complete steps 1 through 5 for all customer segments that should not see this content.
- Test the widget by toggling between customer segments.