To manually create a catalog, define its properties then add catalog entries, such as products and variants. You can create a catalog only under the catalog root level. (Alternatively, you can import catalog content from an external source.)
When creating a catalog structure, carefully consider its maintenance and performance aspects. Do not build hierarchies of categories, products and variants that are too deep. On the other hand, a flat catalog structure with too many entries in the same category can negatively impact performance.
- In the Catalog Root context menu, select New Catalog. Or, click + > Catalog at the top of the screen.
- Enter the catalog details. The system automatically saves the catalog, but it is not available on the website until published. See Working with versions.
- Name. Enter the name to appear in the catalog listing.
- Name in URL. Automatically created link, based on name and place in the navigation; depends on the implementation if this is visible in links on the site.
- Default currency. Enter the default currency for this catalog's entries. See available currency options.
- Default language. Enter the default (master) language for this catalog's entries.
- Base weight. Enter the standard weight unit applied to catalog entries when calculating weight values for shipping totals in the checkout.
- Available languages. Select languages (in addition to the master language) for this catalog's content. See Managing website languages.
Catalog properties are global, meaning catalog entries inherit settings from the default (master) language catalog. You can edit properties only from the default (master) language, so if you need to edit properties, switch to the default language. The default language is usually the first language listed next to Languages in the header.
Changing a catalog's default language is rarely needed. But if you do, some catalog properties might have empty values.
Delete a catalog
Deleting a catalog may cause things to stop working on your site. Before doing so, you may want to export it and save it for future use.
Also, the delete operation may take some time, depending on catalog size.
- Select the desired catalog in the catalog tree.
- Click Delete in the context menu.
- Click Delete Catalog.