This topic describes how to enable and configure the send time optimization in the A/B Test node within Smart Campaigns.
The send time optimization feature is available only for the Email channel.
Send time optimization in the A/B Test node is used only to determine the personalized send time of the optimized message (the main mailing). To optimize the time of sending of individual split mailings, use a separate Wait node for each split mailing and configure the send time optimization in the Wait node.
To configure send time optimization in the A/B test node, do the following:
- Under the Send Date specify a Fallback time.
- Enable the send time optimization.
- Select the maximum length of time for the send time optimization.
- Adjust the start and end times of the send time optimization and, if necessary, shorten the preselected maximum length.
- Check your settings in the info area.
Specifying a fallback time
If there is insufficient data about individual recipients to determine a personalized send time, your optimized message is sent to these recipients at the fallback time. To specify a fallback time:
- In the Create Campaign window or the Edit Campaign window within Smart Campaigns, drag an A/B Test node from the left action pane to the workspace, between the Recipients node and the Wait node/ message node. A context menu opens.
- To enable automatic optimization, select the check box next to Activate automatic optimization.
- In the Type of Optimization drop-down list, select one of the following types:
- Best effective click rate
- Best unique click rate
- Best unique open rate
- Lowest unique unsubscribe rate
- Lowest bounce rate
- Under Sending Date of the Optimized Message, select an option and specify the fallback time.
Option The fallback time is set to Configuration Date and Time A fixed time. Specify a date and a time. Delay After Last Split Immediately after the delay. Specify the delay time. Manual The manual start time. No configuration step needed.
Enabling send time optimization
In the context menu of the A/B Test node, select the check box next to Send time optimization.
Setting maximum length of time
Set the maximum length of time that Optimizely Campaign can use to optimize the sending of optimized messages/main mailings.
This option is only available for the fallback Date and Time.
You can select 24 hours or 7 days.
Adjusting start and end times
You can adjust the start and end times of the send time optimization in 15-minute increments by using the date slider. If you make no changes, the start and end times are set so that the fallback date is the midpoint of the selected maximum length of time.
To adjust the start and end times and reduce the maximum length of time, click and grab the corresponding date tab with the computer mouse.
You can adjust the 24 hours and 7 days defaults downwards and shorten the maximum length of time from 7 days to 3 days. For example, for editorial purposes or short-term promotions.
Checking settings in the info area
Your current send time optimization settings appear in the info area. After completing the configuration, verify your settings in the info area, and change them if necessary.
A/B test node examples
You can configure send time optimization in one of three ways for an A/B test:
- Only optimized message/main mailing. To only configure the send time optimization for the optimized message or the main mailing, configure the send time optimization in the A/B Test node only.
- Only split mailings. If you want to send split mailings using a send time optimization, use a separate Wait node for each split mailing, and configure the send time optimization in each Wait node.
- Split mailings and optimized message or main mailing. If you want to configure a send time optimization for both split mailings and the optimized message or main mailing, configure the send time optimization in the A/B Test node and in the Wait node of the split mailing.
See also Smart Campaigns nodes and A/B test.