You should show search results when there is a partial match of a product or manufacturer number. With Ngram indexing enabled, searches for partial matches that meet the character lengths of the minimum through maximum Ngram length return results for products with the entered search string within their product number or manufacturer item.
Search allows ignoring of non-alphanumeric characters. For example, if you set your minimum Ngram length to 6 and your maximum Ngram length to 7, search will return product ABC-00-1234 when your customers search for 001234 or 00-1234.
Enable Ngram Indexing
- Go to Administration > System > Settings in the Admin Console.
- Search for Enable Ngram Indexing.
- Set the toggle to Yes to index product number and manufacturer item values using Ngram to return relevant results for partial matches. For example, if your product numbers are formatted like ABC12345 and your customers normally search for only the numeric segments, 12345 will be indexed and return a match for the product. The system indexes values with and without special characters.
- Enter a value in the Minimum Ngram Length field to set the smallest number of characters of Ngram segments to be indexed. This should match the smallest search term length your customers would search for matches on product numbers. For performance reasons and to prevent erroneous matches, the minimum value is 3.
- Enter a value in the Maximum Ngram Length field to set the largest number of characters of Ngram segments to be indexed. This should match the largest character length of your product numbers. For performance reasons and to prevent erroneous matches, the minimum value is 3.