A customer's email status in Optimizely Data Platform (ODP) Lite determines whether or not they are reachable.
Email status values
The Email Status attribute can have the following values:
- Reachable (0) – A reachable email address.
- Malformed (2) – Not email address syntax; uses an unidentified TLD (top-level domain) or the @qq.com domain.
- Reported Spam (4) – Reported content as spam to their ISP.
- Hard Bounce (5)
Email status changes
Validation – ODP Lite automatically validates an email address the first time it is received and when the address changes from a previous version, putting the customer into the 0 or 2 status.
Email events – You can also change email status following a customer's action:
- event = email/action = spamreport. The email status is set to 4.
- event = email/action = hard_bounce. The email status is set to 5.
Manage customer subscriptions
There are two approaches to subscription management:
The email service provider (ESP) - Many email service providers provide a mechanism for customers to manage their subscription preferences. The ESP offers subscription management links where customers can opt-in and opt-out of emails. If a customer has unsubscribed, then the ESP suppresses any sends to that customer. ODP Lite integrates with the ESP, processes unsubscribe events from the ESP and updates the customer's email status appropriately.
Some third-party providers handle data in ways that require you to use particular policies or processes.
Emails to qq.com addresses are suppressed to protect your email reputation and deliverability rates. Tencent, the owner of qq.com, has a stringent email frequency/rate policy, which the vast majority of ESPs are unable to accommodate.