If a content item is in a checked out state, and a new metadata definition is added at the folder level. All pre-existing metadata on the checked out content is wiped clear.
Steps to recreate the issue:
- Log into the CMS
- Go to Settings > Configuration > Metadata Definition
- Select "add"
- Give the definition a title and save
- Navigate to Content
- Create a new folder
- In the properties, uncheck "inherit..." and select the metadata definition that was just created to apply to this folder
- Once the folder is created, create a piece of content and add the metadata definition to the content and publish.
- Create a second piece of content, and add the metadata definition to that content as well, and publish
- On the second piece of content, select it from the folder and select edit. Back out of the edit so it remains in "O" status
- Navigate back to settings and create a new metadata definition per the steps above
- Once the new definition is created, navigate to the folder in which you were previously working.
- Right Click > View Properties > Edit Properties
- In the metadata tab, check off the new definition so it is now applied to the folder and save your changes
- Navigate to the checked out content item, view the metadata tab, you will see it is empty. Compare this to the published content; which is not empty
Content is in a checked out state and a new metadata definition is added.
The fix for this issue is in 9.1 SP1 CU 32 and also in version 9.1 SP2 +. Please upgrade to one of these versions to receive this update.