In some instances, an additional charge is needed for a specific shipping service. For example, if the price of gas has increased or additional time is needed for carriers to deliver orders due to road construction, an additional charge may be added to ground delivery service. Keeping this charge separate from the standard shipping fee makes it easier to activate or deactivate the additional charge as needed. Creating this additional charge for a shipping service assumes that service prices have already been set for the carrier.
Below are the steps for creating an additional charge to a shipping service. In this example, $1.50 is being added to a FedEx Ground shipping rate:
- Go to Admin Console > Shipping & Fulfillment > Carriers.
- Click Edit on the Carrier to be edited or click Add Carrier to create a new service.
- Click the Services finger tab and select one of the existing carriers and shipping method.
- Click Edit on the Service to be edited or click Add Shipping Service to create a new service.
- Go to Charges tab. (hidden)
- Click Add.
- Populate the Name, Description, and Charge fields. Ensure that Enable is checked to make the additional charge effective immediately.
- Click Save in the Secondary Header.