A shipping method manages information and rules that determine shipping cost. Customers see this information when adding an item to a shopping cart. The shipping cost is added to the total purchase price.
A shipping method maps to a shipping provider in Optimizely Customized Commerce. This mapping lets the public site display a friendly name to the customer, such as Ground Shipping, while connecting the method to a provider, such as UPS.
Customized Commerce provides the following built-in shipping methods.
- Ground Shipping
- Fixed Shipping
Create and edit a shipping method
- Go to Administration > Shipping > Shipping Methods.
- Click Create to add a new shipping method, or select More Options > Edit to modify an existing one.
- Enter values in the Overview tab as described below. Click Save when done.
- Name – Enter a name without spaces or special characters. Only Customized Commerce users see the name when working with shipping methods.
- Friendly Name – Enter a friendly name, seen by customers when purchasing the item. It can have spaces and special characters.
- Description – Enter a description (optional).
- Provider – Select a provider, which is created in the Shipping providers screen. Select Generic Gateway for a fixed shipping fee specified in Base Price. Select Weight/Jurisdiction Gateway for a shipping fee calculated from the weight and shipping location.
- Language – Select a language.
- Base Price – Enter the base price. This is the fixed shipping fee for the Generic Gateway option or part of the Weight/Jurisdiction Gateway option.
- IsActive – Select Yes to enable the shipping method.
- IsDefault – Select Yes to set this shipping method as the default.
- Sort Order – Enter a number to order the payment method on the shipping methods page.
- Go to the Settings tab and select which markets, countries, regions, and payments to exclude from a shipping method. Click Save when done.
Once you have saved the new Shipping Method, you can go to the Parameters tab to set conditions for the shipping fee. Click Save when done.
You can also set the Price Per Weight for a jurisdiction group. Click Save when done:
- Jurisdiction Group – Select a jurisdiction group to apply the current shipping method. You define these options under Shipping Jurisdictions and Shipping Jurisdiction Groups.
- Weight – Enter a numerical value for the weight. See the developer documentation to learn more about setting weight units.
- Price – Enter a price that is added to the base price when the weight and jurisdiction group conditions are met.
- Start Date – Enter a start date and time for the shipping method to take effect.
- End Date – Enter a end date and time for the shipping method to expire.
Go to More Options > Delete on the Shipping Methods page to delete a method. Click OK to confirm.
Customized Commerce uses shipping jurisdictions and jurisdiction groups to configure shipping for specific jurisdictions, such as country codes and zip codes. Shipping jurisdictions are similar to tax jurisdictions.
Go to Shipping > Shipping Jurisdictions or Shipping Jurisdiction Groups to configure them.