Cart abandonment is a common in issue in eCommerce, but it does not necessarily mean customers did not intend to purchase. Sending emails to customers who abandoned their carts is a simple and effective method to remind them that they have items ready for purchase. This functionality gives you a simple way to approach boosting your conversion rates.
Any cart orders that are set to abandoned before turning on the Enable Abandon Cart Email Remindersfeature will not be sent.
Enable abandoned cart email reminders
When you enable this feature, this exposes the Abandoned Cart email template and Send Abandoned Cart Emails job in the Admin Console. Emails are sent to the email on the user profile.
- Go to Administration > System > Settings in the Admin Console.
- Search for Enable Abandoned Cart Email Reminders.
- Toggle the setting to YES.?If Yes, emails will be sent to registered users that abandon their cart after the defined period. Default value: No.
- Enter a value in the Hours Before Sending Reminder field.?The number of hours after a cart has been updated before an abandoned cart email reminder is sent. Only one email reminder is sent for any cart. Default value: 24.
- Click Save.
The Abandoned Cart Emails job runs hourly to generate the emails.
Customize the abandoned cart email template
The Abandoned Cart email template sends customers a link to their abandoned cart to complete their purchase and shows them up to three products that appear in the cart. Customers have the option to opt-out of these emails by clicking the Unsubscribe link at the bottom of the email, even if the cart has expired.
To track which users unsubscribe to emails, you can view the Email Opt Out Abandoned Cart column under Administration > Website Users. You can also view the applicable entry in the UserProfile database (that is for users who unsubscribed from Abandoned Cart Emails, you can view EmailOptOutAbandonedCart = 1). See also Overview of Email Subscriptions for more details.
- Go to Marketing > Communication > Email Templates in the Admin Console.
- Click Edit next to the AbandonedCart email template.
- Click Preview Revision to view the template setup. See Creating and Editing Email Templates for more information on how to customize email templates.
Send abandoned cart emails job
The Send Abandoned Cart Emails job sends emails to users who have items in a cart but have not checked out after a certain number of hours, based on the Hours Before Sending Reminder setting. The job is set to recur hourly by default.
- Go to Administration > Jobs > Job Definitions in the Admin Console.
- Search for the job name Send Abandoned Cart Emails.
- Click Edit to view or edit job details.
At the end of the job, the post-processor will log the number of emails created during each run. This lets you monitor whether emails are being sent or not, as indicated by your settings.