The Optimizely Content Marketing Platform (CMP) editor increases readability and maximize productivity - letting your team collaborate on short- and long-form content. The editor toolbar has many familiar text editing features. Hover over any item in the toolbar to show the function of the feature.
The CMP editor also provides:
- Concurrent editing – One or more contributors can edit the same document at the same time.
- Embed images, videos, and social posts.
- Versioned content – You can restore previous versions of content.
- Reviews with track changes – see the changes and suggestions a reviewer makes to the content and accept or reject each change.
- Writing aids – AI-generated content and boosting search engine optimization (SEO).
- Keyboard shortcuts for common tasks.
- Create a task.
- Go to the Content tab and click Add Content and select Text editor.
The text editor displays. You can edit your article using the toolbar options that appear on the top of the Text editor, including changing the text size and color.
- Enter a Title and start writing. You can add featured images, sources, languages, and more.
- To leave comments and metadata, open the options menu (...) and select Article Info.
- Click Done to save your content. The last edit time displays at the bottom of the editor.
Collaborate on content (concurrent editing)
You can collaborate on a single piece of content in real-time. Your avatars display at the top of the page and the text shows who is entering content.
Embed images, videos and social posts
You can embed images in the text editor. You can add stock Images or upload them directly from this task, your library, or your computer.
You can also embed videos in the text editor.
- For embedding videos from YouTube, you can simply copy the URL and paste it into the text editor.
- For embedding non-YouTube hosted videos, you can use the text editor's source code editor.
- You can embed videos into articles by using simple HTML5 markup but at first, you need to upload the video to Content Marketing Platform (CMP) library.
Here is a an example of the HTML markup needed to embed a video:
<video preload="none" width="100%" controls> <source src="insert Download Link" type="video/mp4"> Your browser doesn't support the HTML5 video tag. </video>
The overall procedure has been outlined in detail in the GIF shared below:
For the best experience, include the preload="none" attribute, as shown above, to prevent unnecessary video buffering.
Additionally, CMP lets you embed social posts simply by copying and pasting the URL of the social post into the text editor. You no longer need to mess with HTML or embed code when trying to add a social post to the content you are creating. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, and YouTube are supported. Contact email@example.com if you need another platform added.
You can embed web documents such as Google Sheets or InDesign within the Text Editor and work on them directly from the editor. Click Embed Iframe, then add the URL of the document and choose the dimensions of your embedded file.
This process is demonstrated in the following video.
If you want other users to edit or view the document that you have embedded here, the URL that you supply for the embed iFrame should be a URL that is shared by those users. Any shared web URL that uses the browser's SSO capabilities can be available within an embed iFrame, but users who have not or cannot authenticate to that URL will get an error.
When you create content, CMP automatically saves each unique version of the article when you click Done. You also can create a version by opening the context menu (...) and selecting Save as new draft.
Click View Draft Versions (clock icon) to view the draft versions. The left-hand side of the page displays a timeline of your version with a timestamp of when that version was created. Click a version to see that version of the article. If you want to make a previous version your current version, click Restore.
The inline commenting feature lets you collaborate on written content. Review content, suggest changes, and have conversations in context.
Users can highlight the word or section for which they want to provide instruction or feedback and click the Add Comment button. Like with other comment sections in our platform, you can @mention any user in_CMP, so they know the comments pertain directly to them and receive an alert/notification for immediate action.
Once created, you can respond to the comment, or click edit/delete.
You can resolve a comment that is no longer active. If you want to view it again, you can select the Show Resolved checkbox and click Re-open if you want to make the comment active again.
Writing Aid, CMP built-in writing assistant, that helps you to do the following,
- Create Smart Content
- Boost SEO for the article
Create smart content
- Choose the Content Type you want to generate.
- Enter the topic you want to write about.
- Select the Sentiment, Tone, and Word Limit (1 to 75) for the article.
- Click Next to generate the suggestions for content.
- Select the content suggestion that suits best and click Insert.
Boost SEO for content
Writing Aid is also a great tool for boosting SEO for the article. The Boost SEO feature helps marketing teams quantify content quality and ensure that all digital copy — whether for articles, landing pages, newsletters, or another use — is optimized for relevancy, readability, and search ranking. Writing Aid currently supports 8 languages, including English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish. The overall score in following example shows that perhaps more work is needed on the article.
As a collaborator, you can review the article for the writer and make changes to the text using the toggle track change button. Any changes to the text are recorded - you can maintain edit markups for as many steps in your workflow as needed.
To accept or reject the changes go to the text editor and use the icons. You can accept or reject all changes in bulk or hover over the text and accept or reject individually. Once all changes have been resolved, you’ll be able to publish the article.
Open the context menu (...) and select Site Preview.
You can also get a Preview URL pop-up to share or paste it into another new tab for checking the preview.
You can use the following keyboard shortcuts to assist you in your daily tasks.