The Optimizely Content Marketing Platform (CMP) editor increases readability and maximizes productivity—letting your team collaborate on short- and long-form content. The editor toolbar has many familiar text editing features. Hover over any item in the toolbar to see the function of the feature.
The CMP editor provides the following capabilities:
- Concurrent editing – One or more contributors can edit the same document at the same time.
- Embed images, videos, and social posts.
- Versioned content – You can restore previous versions of content.
- Reviews with track changes – see the changes and suggestions a reviewer makes to the content and accept or reject each change.
- Writing aids – AI-generated content and boosting search engine optimization (SEO).
- Keyboard shortcuts for common tasks.
- Click + and select Task.
Create New Task window displays. Enter text in the respective fields for the content you want to create.
- Go to the Content tab, click Add Content, and select Article > Text Editor.
The text editor displays. Use the toolbar options that display on the top of the text editor to edit your article. You can also change the text size and color.
- Enter a Title and start writing. You can add featured images, sources, languages, and more.
- To leave comments and metadata, select More (...) > Article Info.
- Click Done to save your content. The last edit time displays at the bottom of the editor.
Collaborate on content (concurrent editing)
You can collaborate on a single piece of content in real-time. Your avatars display at the top of the page and the text shows who is entering content.
- To embed videos from YouTube, simply copy the URL and paste it into the text editor.
- To embed non-YouTube hosted videos, use the text editor's source code editor.
- By uploading videos to the Content Marketing Platform (CMP) library, you can embed videos into articles using simple HTML5 markup.
See also Video renditions.
Embed videos using HTML markup
- In the text editor, select More (...) > Insert code snippet.
- Copy and paste the HTML markup in the Source Code window that displays.
Example of HTML markup needed to embed a video:
<video preload="none" width="100%" controls> <source src="insert Download Link" type="video/mp4"> Your browser doesn't support the HTML5 video tag. </video>For the best experience, include the
preload="none"attribute to prevent unnecessary video buffering.
- Click Save. The embedded video displays in the text editor.
Embed social posts
You can embed social posts from Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, and YouTube by simply copying and pasting the URL of the social post into the text editor. Contact email@example.com if you need to add another platform.
You can embed web documents such as Google Sheets or InDesign within the text editor and work on them directly within the editor.
- Click Embed iframe. The Insert/Edit Iframe window displays.
- Copy the link of the web document you want to embed and paste it in the Source field.
- Adjust the display Width and Height.
- Click Save. The embedded document displays in the text editor.
If you want other users to edit or view the document you embedded, they must have access to the URL that you input in the Source field. Any shared web URL that uses the browser's SSO capabilities is available within an embedded Iframe, but users who do not have access to that URL receive an error.
When you create content, CMP automatically saves a unique version of the article when you click Done. To create a version you can also select More (...) > Save as new draft.
Click View Draft Versions to view the draft versions.
The left panel displays a timeline of the versions with timestamps for each created version. Click a version to see that version of the article. Click Show Changes to see the changes. Click Restore to revert to a previous version.
The inline commenting feature lets you collaborate on written content. You can review content, suggest changes, and have conversations in context.
Users can highlight the word or section for which they want to provide instruction or feedback and click the Add Comment button. You can mention (@) any users in CMP so that they know the comments pertain directly to them. They receive a notification and can take immediate action.
Once you create a comment, you can respond to, edit, or delete the comment.
You can resolve a comment that is no longer active. If you want to view it again, you can select the Show Resolved check box and click Re-open if you want to make the comment active again.
Writing Aid, CMP is a built-in writing assistant that helps you to do the following:
- Create Smart Content
- Boost SEO for the article
Create smart content
- Choose the Content Type you want to generate.
- Enter the topic you want to write about.
- Select the Sentiment, Tone, and Word Limit (1 to 75) for the article.
- Click Next to generate the suggestions for content.
- Select the content suggestion that suits best and click Insert.
Boost SEO for content
Writing Aid is a tool that can boost article SEO. The Boost SEO feature lets marketing teams quantify content quality and ensure that all digital copy—whether for articles, landing pages, newsletters, or others—is optimized for relevance, readability, and search ranking.
The overall score in following example shows that more work can be done on the article.
As a collaborator, you can review the article for the writer and make changes to the text by toggling Track changes on. Any changes to the text are recorded. You can maintain edit markups for as many steps in your workflow as you need.
To accept or reject the changes, go to the text editor. You can accept or reject all changes in bulk or hover over the text and accept or reject individually. Once all changes are resolved, you can publish the article.
Select More (...) > Site Preview.
You get a preview link to share or paste it into another new tab to check the preview.
You can use the following keyboard shortcuts to assist you in your daily tasks.