Asset versioning allows you to create and track updates to files in the Library to maintain governance across the content your entire team is using. This section will inform you how to create new versions of your Library content — either published from an existing task or uploaded directly into the Library — to ensure all team members are using the most up-to-date assets.
In this article, you will learn how to:
- Create a New Asset Version, Via:
- View an Asset's Versions
- View an Asset's History
- Make Comments and Annotations (Specific to a Version)
- Download Versions
- Delete a Version
Create a New Asset Version
When maintaining versions of an asset within the Welcome platform, you have two ways to add a new version:
- Upload a new version directly to the Library
- Update an existing asset using a task
Library (Direct Upload)
When a new version of an asset is created outside of the Welcome platform, users can upload a new version directly to the Library without creating a task. To upload a new version to the Library, follow the steps below:
- Once you have located the asset you'd like to update, click on the asset to expand the detail view modal on the right-hand side.
- Click on the ellipses icon and choose "Versions & History".
- To upload a new version, click on the "+" icon
- Locate the new file version on your computer and upload it to save the new version. When you close this modal, you'll see the new version in the library.
Task (Updating an Existing Asset)
When collaborating on and creating a new asset version within the Welcome platform, users can choose to create a new version of an asset using a task (and associated workflow). To create a new asset version using a task, you may choose one of the following:
- Locate the asset you'd like to update and click on the asset to expand the detail view modal on the right-hand side. Then, click "Create Task" to begin working on the new asset.
- Create your task first and then add the existing asset from the Library into the Content tab of your task. To add the asset from Library, navigate to the Content tab and click the Library icon under "Select Content."
For more information on creating a task from Library and adding content to a task, please check out this KnowledgeBase article.
Once you have created a task and added the asset you'd like to update, you can begin making your changes. If the asset is changed while working on the task, when you push the asset to Library, you can choose one of the following options:
- "New Version": Save the updated asset as a new version of the original asset in the Library
- "New Asset": Save the asset as a new file within the Library (derivative work of the original, such as translated version)
To push to Library, follow the steps below:
1. Navigate to the Content tab and click on the 'card' view.
1. Click on "Manage" to choose which assets will Push to Library
3. Click on the ellipses of the asset you'd like to Push to Library and choose "New Version" or "New Asset".
View an Asset's Versions
To view the previous versions of an asset within Library, follow the steps below:
- Once you have located the asset you'd like to update, click on the asset to expand the detail view modal on the right-hand side
- Click on the ellipses icon and choose "Versions & History"
- This will take you to the asset version view, where previous versions will be listed on the left-hand side. You can then click on the version you'd like to view.
Please note: if an asset in the Library has multiple versions, a badge will indicate which version it is. You can click on this badge for a shortcut to the asset version view.
View an Asset's History
Within the asset version view, you can also view the history of asset changes to understand who made what changes, when, and why.
To view an asset's history, click on the "History" tab.
The asset history will show a list of changes, including date and user (seen below).
Make Comments and Annotations (Specific to a Version)
Within the asset version view, you can also leave feedback for your team about the asset version you are previewing. As long as you have comment or edit access to the asset, you can comment on or annotate the file. Any comments or annotations you make will be specific to each version.
This functionality is the same as commenting or annotating on an asset version within a task. For more information on how to add a comment or annotate a version, please check out this KnowledgeBase article.
Within the asset version view, you also have the option to download the asset — either one specific version, or all versions at once — to use and repurpose outside of the Welcome platform.
To download each asset version individually, select the version you'd like and click the "Download" icon.
To download all asset versions at once, click the ellipses menu on the top right and choose "Download all Versions."
Delete a Version
Within the asset version view, you also have the ability to delete a version, whether the latest version or a previous one. Deleting a version will completely remove the version from the Library, including all comments and annotations.
To delete a version, choose the version you'd like and click the "Delete" icon.
Please note: the version numbers will not change after a deletion. If there are three versions and you delete the second, the third version will still be labeled the V3. This ensures accurate lineage and extension to our feeds and API delivery.
Questions? Contact email@example.com.