The Board view in the Plan view provides an Agile-inspired experience to organize the work your team is doing. This highly customizable dynamic view is like a pivot table, letting you create and monitor a board with projects.
You can do the following:
- Drag-and-drop columns and tasks within or across columns.
- Order the priority of tasks in each column so that the most important tasks are at the top. (Not available in step view.)
- Collapse and expand columns to create a custom view of pertinent information.
- Create a task in Status (Not Started) and Campaign columns.
- Add colored field labels to provide more ways to customize your views. For example, if you have a green badge labeled Project X, you can quickly identify the tasks by color or filter your view to show only tasks with that badge.
- Click any part of a task card (except the title) to view a summary of the task. Click the title to edit the task.
- Set display preferences for task cards to see exactly the metadata that is relevant to you.
Select Plan > Board to view the planning board. A numbered list describes each of the features in the following image.
- Select the Plan view.
- Select the Board tab.
- Select from many Filters to quickly customize and focus your views. You can collapse and expand the Filters view.
- Enter text in the Search box to dynamically display results for the tasks you want to see. Partial text entry starts displaying results.
- The View field lets you select Tasks, Current Steps, or All Steps to customize the card view on the board.
- The Columns field lets you first sort by Column and then Group By.
- Click Swap selection to place the Columns selection in the Group by selection and vice versa.
- The Group By field lets you refine the information returned by the Columns field.
- Click Reset to return to the default Board view.
- Select Display and then enable the fields that you want your task cards to display.
- Click < to collapse a column and > to expand it.
- Select the options menu (...) to add a task in campaign columns (and in the Not started task column), or to move a column left or right. You also can drag a column left or right.
- Click anywhere on a task card (except the title) to show more details about the task. You can edit some details directly in the task card details.
- Click the title on a task card to go to where you can edit the task.
- Colored labels help quickly associate tasks with campaigns. Labels are set in the avatar > Fields view.
Collapse and expand columns
If your view has many columns, you may want to see only a few at a time. You can click < to collapse a column and > to expand it.
Order your columns by dragging a column to the position you want. You can also select the options menu (...) and select Move Left or Move Right.
View Column and Group by
You can create a custom view by Status, Campaign, Assignee, Destination, and many other options, and get updates with the most relevant information.
In the following example, you can view each step's status by campaign, giving you a quick overview of campaign health and progress.
The following example selects Assignee to see tasks and steps of team members.
Group by lets you organize results by attributes, such as Due Date or Campaign. For example, you can view tasks by Assignee, and group them by Campaign to understand what each team member is currently working on, what campaign each task is part of, and the campaign's overall health and progress.
View steps or tasks
Step and task views have a default view of progress in three columns (Not Started, In Progress, Completed, and On Hold), and update them as work is completed and plans change. This lets marketers plan and manage their team's tasks in a more agile manner, without losing sight of the big picture.
Select All Steps or Current Steps for a more detailed view of work in progress, and understand each step's progress.
Drag and drop to change owners
Features are released for general availability (GA) to Cutting Edge customers with stringent performance and SLA criteria, and with in-app tutorials and documentation. During the Cutting Edge period of 1 to 6 weeks, customers can provide feedback that helps to shape the “final state” for Standard customer GA.
You can move a task from one owner to another.
- Go to Plan > Board view.
- Organize the planning board view by task owners, by selecting Columns > Owners, which displays columns of owners with their respective tasks.
- Drag and drop a task from one owner to another.
Workflow view shows tasks in a workflow with their steps and completed steps. Each step in a workflow displays as a column, and tasks display as cards in their steps.
- Select Workflow Steps from the Columns menu.
- Select the workflow you want to monitor from the Workflow view.
- Move a task card one or more steps forward, which completes previous steps and changes the current step status to In progress.
- Move a task card one or more steps backward, which changes those steps and the current step status to In progress.
- Move a task card to the Completed column to complete all steps in the task.
- If you move a card to a step that was previously Skipped, you can move the task to the next incomplete step or change the skipped step status to In Progress.
- If you move a card to a step that was previously Completed, you can move the task to the next incomplete step or change the completed step status to In Progress.
The following example shows a case where you might move Task 1 from Step 1 (which is In Progress) to Step 4 (which is Skipped). If you do this, previous steps are marked Complete and you are asked whether you want to change Step 4 to In Progress, or move the task to the next incomplete step.
You can filter results in the planning board to access a subset of work or information relating to a specific campaign, assignee, use case, or other attribute.
Drag and drop to update a task or step's progress. For example, you can drag a task from the Not Started column and drop it into the In Progress column to update its status. This initiates the task's workflow, and notifies the assigned user that work has begun.
Similarly, if you are using the planning board to view steps by Assignee, you can review each team member's bandwidth, and reassign work as needed by dragging a step from one assignee's column and dropping it into another. This updates the step to reflect it was reassigned to another team member, and notifies the new assignee of this change.
Edit task cards on the planning board
If you have permissions, you can edit panels by clicking on a task card and editing fields.
Save a view
Click Save View to save a view of the planning board, which you can apply and share with the rest of your team, which are accessed in the Saved Views menu.
Save a board to a CSV file
Click Download as CSV to save the board to a .csv file, which you can share with team members that aren't on the instance of Optimizely Content Marketing Platform (CMP), or with external stakeholders, enabling greater visibility and transparency into what users are working on, and their progress.